A list of publications mapping migrant Roma communities across the UK.
National Federation of Gypsy Liaison Groups, Friends Families and Travellers, Roma Support Group and Roma Community Care (March, 2018) ‘National Roma Integration Society Civil Society Monitoring Report’
Report from the project is carried out for the European Commission, DG Justice and Consumers regarding the UK’s implementation of National Roma Integration Strategy.
The report is the end product of a multi-agency, practice led project, which aimed to support the growth of grassroots community advocacy as part of the growth of an inclusive and engaged Roma community in the UK. The project focused on four thematic areas: Community Relations, Housing, Education and Employment & Social Welfare across four different regions: London, South Yorkshire, the North West of England and the East Midlands.
The report provides a brief overview of employment, education, housing and health, with specific case studies exploring local authorities and third sector engagement in Derby, Glasgow and Redbridge, and looks at the implications of Brexit on funding for Roma integration.
The report attempts to estimate the size of migrant Roma in the UK and provides experiences of local authorities in engaging with Roma communities in their localities, approaches undertaken, and challenges and barriers to successful work.
An overview of situation of migrant Roma in the UK including the patterns of settlement, government policies and programmes, and experiences in accessing education, employment, health and housing.
- European Dialogue (2009) ‘New Roma Communities: The situation of Roma from new Member States of the EU and the Role of Local Authorities in their settlement and inclusion‘
- European Dialogue (2009) ‘The Movement of Roma from new EU member states: A mapping survey of A2 and A8 Roma in England: Patterns of settlement and current situation of new Roma communities in England‘
- Scottish Churches Racial Justice Group (2016) ‘The Roma Community in Scotland 2016)
- Scottish Government (2013) ‘Mapping the Roma community in Scotland: Final Report‘
- West of Scotland Regional Equality Council (2013) ‘Report on community consultation with Roma Groups across Scotland’
- Migration Yorkshire (2017) ‘Roma experiences of living and working in South Yorkshire
- Migration Yorkshire (2017) ‘Roma in South Yorkshire: mapping services and local priorities’
Local case studies
- British Academy (2017) ‘If you could do one thing… The integration of migrants, refugees and asylum seekers’. St Edmund’s Nursery
- EuroCities (2017) ‘Mapping of the situation of Roma in cities in Europe’
- Colin Clarke (2014) ‘Glasgow’s Ellis Island? The integration and stigmatisation of Govanhill’s Roma population‘
- Lynne Poole and Kevin Adamson (2008) ‘Situation of the Roma Community in Govanhill, Glasgow‘
- Manchester City Council (2016) ‘Report on the MIGROM project, engagement strategy and its alignment to Manchester City priorities’
- MIGROM (2014) ‘Roma in Manchester: A fact sheet‘
- Manchester City Council (2013) ‘Roma Strategy 2011 – 2014’
- Migration Yorkshire (2017) ‘Roma in Rotherham: mapping services and local priorities’
- Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council (2015) ‘Communities of Interest: Roma Community’
- Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council (2013) ‘Roma Community Health Needs’