Publications exploring engagement with Roma communities in the UK, including specific case studies, and useful resources for professionals wanting to improve their engagement with Roma
The report is the end product of a multi-agency, practice led project, which aimed to support the growth of grassroots community advocacy as part of the growth of an inclusive and engaged Roma community in the UK.
Babington Community College and Lucie Fremlova (2015) ‘Multi-agency working: Roma’
This publication looks at the context in which various agencies are working with the Roma community in the UK, and proposes simple actions to improve communication and engagement with the Roma community.
Roma Support Group (2014) ‘Roma Support Engagement Programme: Final evaluation report’
This report looks at the effectiveness of the two year engagement programme delivered in four regions – London, East of England, Yorkshire and Humber and South East England – as a response to an identified and increasing need among services providers to engage more effectively with disadvantaged Roma families and for Roma people to develop capacity to make better use of statutory services.
Lisa Scullion and Philip Brown (2013) ‘What’s working?’: Promoting the inclusion of Roma in and through education Transnational policy review and research report
This report provides an overview of educational practices towards Roma in chosen EU countries, including a case study in the Manchester region, UK. It looks at the key issues of engagement with the Roma children from the perspective of selected stakeholders – teachers and head teachers, local authorities’ educational services and voluntary sector.
Roma Support Group (2011) ‘Improving engagement with the Roma community’
This report examines barriers Roma communities face when engaging with mainstream services and identifies the most effective and appropriate approaches and mechanisms.
- British Academy (2017) ‘If you could do one thing… The integration of migrants, refugees and asylum seekers’. St Edmund’s Nursery School and Children’s Centre: Integrating Roma children from Central and Eastern European into early years education’
- Roma families’ engagement with education and other services in Glasgow (2014)
- Local Engagement for Roma Inclusion (LERI): Community Summary, Glasgow, UK
- BHA Engagement with Roma in Manchester: An evaluation (2014)
- What’s working: conversations with Manchester‘s Romanian Roma community living in Longsight and Levenshulme (2010)
- Local Engagement for Roma Inclusion (LERI):_Medway Locality Study (2016)
- Local Engagement for Roma Inclusion (LERI): Community Summary, Medway (Kent), UK
Resources for professionals
- Practical information about Roma perspectives on the educational system in the UK by Roma Support Group
- A toolkit helping to promote equality and tackling racism in the school system – GRT focused by Show Racism the Red Card
- Improving education outcomes for pupils from the new Roma communities by Mark Penfold
- Raising Eastern European Gypsy/Roma Achievement: A guide for educational practitioners by Bolton Council
- Getting to know the Roma communities in England: A basic guide for practitioners, students and teachers by European Dialogue
- Short movies made by Roma children about their lives in Leeds by Migration Yorkshire
- East European Roma Culture Awareness Guide (with additional information on working with Roma in a police context and translated police procedures leaflets) by Roma Support Group
- Myth Busting resource by Gypsy Roma Traveller Police Association (GRTPA)
- Report racism or hate crimes through the Report Racism GRT website
- Information leaflet about Roma for health service staff by Roma Support Group
- A leaflet for Gypsy, Traveller and Roma communities: How to register with a doctor (GP) by NHS
Bilingual/other language resources
- Advice for Slovak Roma about common childhood problems (audio in Slovak and text in both English and Slovak) by Sheffield Children’s Hospital
- Police procedures leaflets by Roma Support Group in English, Polish and Czech
- CSE Resources – Posters and leaflets in Romanian and Slovak
- Viem Ako Sa Citis – I know how you feel. A video written and produced by Roma young people, highlighting the risk of Child Sexual Exploitation.